Sunday, January 22, 2017

Romantic Bedrooms

Hello everyone.  I hope you all having a wonderful weekend.

Today, I want to talk about creating romantic bedrooms in your home.  If you are anything like me, a romantic home is just part of your every day life.  And bedrooms are an ideal space to express this style.  

Our home definitely reflects who I am and my passion for creating rooms that celebrate my romantic heart.  I would say that each room in our home is like a little jewel box.  I especially love soft colors on walls, delicate pastels and beautiful chandeliers.  A room should be one that makes you feel instantly at ease, welcomed and above all, happy!!!  I also prefer furniture that is light and with a bit of old world charm.  This romantic and feminine style is not difficult to achieve.  You can combine favorite thrift store finds, fabrics and accessories to create a comfortable and romantic bedroom.  

Last summer, we did a makeover in our master bedroom and I am so happy with the results. I do have to admit that the hardest part of the makeover was painting our furniture. The bedroom set below was originally dark and although it took some elbow grease, it was totally worth it.  It has made such a big difference in the room.    


Our rooms are always painted in muted tones so there is always a serene feel when you walk in the rooms.  Nothing shouts out at you.  The focal point of the room is the canopy which my sister-in-law made for me.  The furniture is a light shade of cream keeping the room's color palette soft and monochromatic.


The chandelier was a purchase from a local antiques shop.  It is gorgeous and it gives the room a bit of a french feel.  The ornate mirror next to my night stand was a Home Goods find.  My husband built the radiator box for the room.  He did such a great job!!






The mirror was a thrift store find.  Originally a very shiny gold, it was toned down with a coat of cream and matte bronze paints.  The hardware on the dressers also received a coat of bronze/gold paint. I made ll the floral arrangements in the rooms as well as the runners.



And as you all know, when you are doing a room makeover on a budget, one has to be really creative. So when I am make plans to refresh a room, my go to places are thrift stores, antique shops and garage sales. I do invest on good quality foundation pieces for our home too but for the most part, I try to re-purpose furniture, art and decor items whenever I can. And who doesn't love a bargain or the thrill of the hunt right?








Since I was on a budget, I did not have a lot of extra funds to invest on a crystal chandelier so when I came across this gorgeous and acrylic chandelier at Home Depot for only $99.00, it was love at first site. And you won't even notice the difference. It is stunning and a quick way to add elegance and romance to a room. (if you re interested, here is the info for it: Hampton Bay Maria Theresa 6-Light Chrome Chandelier)


The lovely reproduction painting on the wall was re-purposed. The frame was originally gold and the nightstand had a dark finish so that received a total makeover too. And that saved us a lot of money. It is amazing what a little paint can do.


My inspiration came from this pretty Waverly fabric that I purchased from my local fabric store. I made this no sew scarf and bed canopy with the double sided sticky tape. At took a little time but it was totally worth it.



For the bedding, I used a textured Matelasse coverlet in cream, vintage linen pillow covers found at an antiques shop and a floral Ralph Lauren comforter set I already had.
Ins't this Ralph Lauren comforter beautiful?




These vintage pillow shams are lovely. I love the raised detail. Such a sweet detail and I only paid about ten dollars for the set



The chair was my most expensive purchase for this makeover. I found it at Home Goods for $129.00 but I just could not pass it up. It was the perfect color and style.



This is smaller guest room in our home. We gave it a makeover a few years ago. As you may have already noticed, I have a passion for florals and romantic decor. And this room has a bit of a cottage feel. It is so dreamy!!



This room is also very bright. My goal has been to unify the rooms. It has certainly been a labor of love for the past 9 years.


The antique bed and nightstands were also dark. We painted them beige and lightly distressed them. I do not like perfect pieces. I like things to have character and a worn feel.


We chose teal bedding for a pop of color. A rattan tray holds beloved collected items such as my pink floral tea cups and vintage ladies bust. And I always have to have fresh flowers. It is my weekly indulgence.





I love adding personal details in every room. Pretty pieces for guest to enjoy but I too take the time to enjoy each room in our home. After all, it is a room worth admiring.

So take the time to enjoy your home. It is our largest investment and should be enjoyed not only by your family and friends, but by the people that live in it. Create a room in which you can escape to. A room to gather your thoughts and re-connect. Large or small, you deserve it.


Wishing you a wonderful Sunday.

Janet


16 comments:

  1. Oh, just lovely Janet! You are a girl after my own heart! I love all the soft and romantic touches. You have inspired me to make some changes in my own guest rooms. I do love that blue chair from Home Goods. I think it was worth the splurge. Fresh flowers are so beautiful, and really make the room! And the chandys -- love them! xo Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bedrooms are so pretty and romantic, I love them all!!! I am looking for a new bed for my own bedroom, so I loved all of your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Janet, your bedrooms are so beautiful and relaxing. Love all your choices of bedding and decore.
    Thanks so much for sharing your lovely bedrooms. Makes me want to re-do mine.

    Have a wonderful week.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those two bedrooms look just amazing. What dreamy and soft places to just walk in and put the day behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO pretty! :)

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how pretty it all turned out. Love the overall look of every room, but especially the window treatment in the first you're sharing. I have our guest room set up in the same way (bed in front of window), and I have been looking for a pretty look for the window treatment, this is exactly the inspiration I'm looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything is absolutely beautiful Janet . The romance is flowing through the air for sure . Hugs and blessings , Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found your blog and I'm totally captivated, you are a genius. I also love doing over old furniture with good bones and repurposing old frames and baskets. We are also redoing our master bedroom but I painted dresser a mat black. Hubby loves it. Rest of room will be soft greys and white! Have to wait for the new king size bed. Keep up good work.😍

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the soft feminine feel of your rooms. I can only imagine what it feels like to be immersed in them in real life. Beautiful work and thank you for sharing with us this week at Celebrate Your Story, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what beautiful bedrooms!! I love the chandys. That one from Home Depot looks really expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Each room is beautiful. So soft and elegant; love them all!!!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. These romantic bedrooms are absolutely lovely Janet! They are all so soft and beautiful. You have been featured this week at Dishing It & Digging It. Thank you so much for sharing with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. All Of your bedrooms are gorgeous and so welcoming Janet. I love finding beautiful things to add to our home at thrift shops as well. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow...SO pretty!! :)

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Goodness! It is all so beautiful! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features at the Sunday Showcase from the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to the Showcase. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2017/02/sunday-showcase-make-pretty-monday-8-3.html Have a lovely week ahead. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete