Thursday, September 15, 2016

Fall Gatherings ~ Cheese & Wine At The Shore

Hello friends,

Welcome to my blog today.  I am glad you are here.

As you all know, I love entertaining family and friends.  Especially during the fall season but as we all know, planning and shopping for the occasion can still be a bit stressful.  So when I want stress free entertaining, I turn to a simple cheese and charcuterie board.  A quick trip to my favorite supermarket and a little time spent creating a visually interesting display is all you need to put together a sophisticated cheese platter.

Last week, we spent the weekend with my sister-in-law at the Jersey Shore. Having such an incredible view of the Shrewsbury River, I could not help setting my cheese and wine course in the open air. And who would pass up the opportunity to gather in such a dreamy spot.

It was easy to relax here. To bring a close to stressful week and repose.  Laughter and conversation flowed effortlessly in such a serene and peaceful setting.  To connect with nature and people we love. 

Cozy blankets, soft candlelight and the gentle sound of the water encouraged us to linger and to enjoy each others company.   

The ever popular Cheese Tray.  An easily portable course that satisfies all foodies







Here are a few tips for planning the cheese course

A cheese tray does not have to be elaborate to be inviting.  A single carefully chosen cheese, of good quality can be just as satisfying.  Remember that the main focus is still the cheese.  Today, we are lucky to have many supermarkets that carry a decent selection of domestic and international cheeses so selection can be a bit overwhelming for some.

Here are a few tips:

For most occasions, three cheeses make an ample and generous cheese course.  Our family loves cheese, so we always over buy.

If you are serving more than one cheese, plan your purchases so that you have a fair assortment.  Plan to have a bit of diversity to ensure that there is something for everyone:  fresh cheeses and aged ones; mild cheeses and strong ones; a mix of cow's, sheep's and goat's milk cheeses.  Consider firmness: Soft, semi-hard and hard and Region.  France, Spain, Italy and California offer excellent choices.

I always like to have a soft cheese such as a brie or camembert, a creamy jarlsburg and a hard cheese such as manchego  or gouda. 

The Accompaniments

Besides the cheese, there must be partnering options such as crackers, bread, jellies, olives, nuts or fruits.  All of these accompaniments aid in creating an overall experience.  



I hope I have inspired you to make this easy and fun appetizer tray for stress free entertaining.

Have a great weekend.

Janet





33 comments:

  1. Beautiful and romantic setting, I wouldn't pass it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sylvia,

      Happy Monday to you.

      Thank you. So glad you stopped by.

      Hugs,

      Janet

      Delete
  2. Great location to appreciate some fine wine and cheeses. Shopping for cheeses and small goods at our local market is one of my favourite weekend past-times. Sharing our purchases with family and friends is even better. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elizabeth,

      Happy Monday. I would love to shop in a French market for cheeses and wine. That would be an incredible experience for the senses.

      Yes, I always find great joy in sharing with family and friends.

      Thank you for visiting me. I am so glad you came.

      Happy autumn,

      Janet

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful location to spend time with family or friends enjoying delicious cheeses and a glass of wine.
    Wish you a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Janneke,

      Thank you so much. You are very kind.

      I hope you had a wonderful weekend too. Glad you came for a visit.

      Hugs,

      Janet

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful setting and I love your Cheese Tray ... but then I love to eat cheese!

    Enjoy the weekend

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jan,

      Happy Monday. I hope you enjoyed your weekend too.

      Thank you for the visit. I love cheese too. I can't ever pass one up.

      I am so glad you came. Wishing you a wonderful week.

      Janet

      Delete
  5. Oh Janet,
    This is absolutely gorgeous! So picturesque! I love the seashore and your vignette is amazing today. Everything looks so perfect! Do you live close to the water? How fortunate if so. Blessings! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS, I hope you can stop by for a peek at my fall home tour.

      Hugs,

      Janet

      Delete
  6. Oh Janet,
    This is absolutely gorgeous! So picturesque! I love the seashore and your vignette is amazing today. Everything looks so perfect! Do you live close to the water? How fortunate if so. Blessings! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen,

      Sorry for my delayed response. I have been so busy getting the house ready for fall.

      Thank you for such a sweet comment. I am so fortunate to have such an amazing group of bloggers following me. You are all so kind. I don't live by shore but my sister-in-law has a home at the Jersey Shore so I am lucky to be able to spend time there during the summer. The shore is such a relaxing and beautiful place.

      Happy autumn to you and thank you for all your support.

      Blessings to you too KAren.

      Janet

      Delete
  7. On Janet, what a beautiful cheese tray, everything looks so yummy. Your photos are amazing and I love everything. What a great place to sit and enjoy the water. You have thought of everything. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

    Have a wonderful week.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mary,

      I hope you had a wonderful Sunday.

      You are always such a sweet friend. I am always touched by the kindness and support that I get from each and everyone of you. It brings me such happiness.

      Thank you for visiting Mary. I hope you had a wonderful summer and wish you a fantastic autumn. I did decorate our home for fall already. I hope you can stop by for a peek.

      Hugs,

      Janet

      Delete
  8. Looks and sounds perfect! Thank you for sharing. Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Martha,

      Thank you for visiting me and taking the time to leave your sweet comment.

      Blessings,

      Janet

      Delete
  9. This is absolutely beautiful!! I crawled right into those pictures!

    I remember the first time I tried brie I was thinking, "where have you been all my life??" lol.

    This post reminded me of my magnum opus in cheese. For my granddaughter's owl themed first birthday party, I created a cheese platter in the shape of an owl! It was a Pinterest win! ;-)

    Thanks for the reminder that entertaining can be as simple and elegant as a cheese platter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen,

      You are too funny. I just loved reading your sweet and darling comment. Let's just say that brie is a rock star in the cheese world right??? lol Wow, an owl shaped cheese platter!! I am impressed. I have to look that one up.

      You are a girl after my own heart Karen. Please stop by again. You truly made me smile.

      Fondly,

      Janet

      Delete
  10. That is so beautiful you should make us do "reservations" to eat and chat there! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Christine,

      You are so sweet. It would be a please to have you join in. A chat with great friends is always welcomed in my book. I hope you can stop by for a peek at my fall home tour.

      Wishing you a wonderful week.

      Janet

      Delete
  11. Helo Janet, it looks absolutely lovely.. All your settings are alway wonderful.. Happy Monday with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Janice,

      I hope you had a lovely and restful Sunday. Thank you for such kind words. I am so fortunate to have such amazing friends here in blogland.

      Wishing you an amazing autumn season. I hope you can stop by for a peek of my fall home tour.

      Hugs,

      Janet

      Delete
  12. Such a beautiful table! Love the setting ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Summer,

      It is so nice to meet here in blogland.

      Thank you for visiting me and leaving me such a sweet comment. I hope you can stop by soon.

      Fondly,

      Janet

      Delete
  13. Dear Janet
    So lovely pictures and what a stunning cheese tray. I would love to sit there with a glass og wine, and enjoy the view.

    Love from Lone I Denmark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lone,

      Thank you for visiting and leaving me your kind words. It would be a pleasure to have you join me for cheese and a glass of wine. Great wat to get to know new friends. I hope you can stop by again soon. I just shared a small fall tour of our home.

      Wishing you a great week,

      Janet

      Delete
  14. This looks like so much fun!

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How amazing it all looks Janet. I can just imagine how wonderful it would have been to relax waterside, enjoying cheese and wine and great company. Thank you for sharing this at Shabbilicious Friday last week. I'm delighted to be featuring it at tomorrow's party.
    Hugs ~ Kerryanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much again Kerryanne. You are always so supportive and kind to me. I am truly grateful.

      I hope you can stop by for a peekof my fall home tour.

      Hugs,

      Janet

      Delete
  16. Oh, how lovely picnic!!
    I'm gonna have a beach picnic (again) on next Sunday for my friends!
    Have a wonderful week and greetings from The Almond Valley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      Thank you for visiting and taking the time to leave your sweet comment. I hope your beach picnic was fun. Come back to visit soon.

      Wishing you a great week.

      Janet

      Delete
  17. What a beautiful cheese tray! I love cheese and charcuterie...this looks perfect to me! Happy Fall, Pam @ Everyday Living

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Pat,

    Thank you for visiting and leaving me your sweet comment. Cheese and wine are always a good choice. Please come and visit soon.

    Wishing you a beautiful autumn.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete