Summer Travel Series ~ Newport Cottages II ~ The Breakers

Hello to you all.  I hope you are all having a wonderful Sunday.  Mother nature continues to bless us with beautiful weather here in the East Coast.  And as promised, I am sharing a few more photos of our trip to Newport, Rhode Island.  This time, it is the incredible and very opulent Breakers Estate.-. 

As I mentioned on my previous post, Newport is one of our favorite destinations.  You really get the best of everything here.  This is such a great summertime and autumn escape.  Great restaurants, wonderful beaches, gilded age mansions and amazing ocean views.  It is also the place where Jacqueline Bouvier and John Kennedy were married.

During the Gilded Age of the late nineteenth century, Newport, Rhode Island, was the exclusive playground for America's wealthy such as the Vanderbilt family, Berwinds' and Astors' who built grand "summer cottages" there.  It was also a summer getaway for the Kennedy's.

The Breakers is the grandest of Newport's summer cottages and a symbol of the Vanderbilt family's social and financial influence in turn of the century America.

Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt established the family fortune in steamships and later in the New York central Railroad.

In 1893, Corneluis Vanderbilt II, commissioned architect Richard Morris Hunt to design a villa to replace the earlier wood-framed house which was destroyed by fire.  Hunt put together an international team of crafstmen and artisans to build the 70 room Italian Renaissance-style palazzo inspired by the 16th century palaces of Genoa and Turin.  This family cottage is truly over the top. Every inch of this home is decorated.  So much grandeur and opulence.  I can only imagine the grand parties and gatherings that took place in this incredible home.  Even the kitchen was a masterpiece with a two-story pantry to die for with oceans views that take your breath away.

































































































I hope you enjoyed the tour.  If you have not been to this pretty coastal town, I highly encourage you to.  And if you love history, you will definitely fall in love with this little gem of a town.

http://www.newportmansions.org/



Next, road trip to share is Chestertown, Maryland.  Thank you for visiting.  Wishing you a wonderful week.


Hugs,

Janet

Comments

  1. This looks wonderful! Beautiful interior and the view from the house over the sea, absolutely gorgeous. I´m afraid I will not be in the position to make it to Newport, it is so very far away, but we never say never.
    Regards, Janneke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how beautiful. i have been to Hearst Castle and Ashville and some of the plantations in the south. They are always so pretty,

    Thanks so much for sharing your vacation with us - simply stunning.

    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janet,
    I love touring the Breakers! Have you seen it at Christmas? It is just beautiful with their poinsettia tree....We were in Newport a short time ago and heading there next week in fact. I think I would have loved living during that era! Well....if I could live in a mansion! Thanks for sharing your photos....
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my what a great tour. Love looking at all the pictures. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whau, that sure is a beautiful mansion! The view of the ocean is breathtaking. Thank you for the tour dear Janet!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, such an amazing place, would have love to visit ... I lobe the breakfast tray and egg cup holder so pretty. Such a grand place.. Thank you for sharing with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were fortunate to visit The Breakers on one of our many visits to RI - and happy to be at this home on our anniversary.....and on that visit there were garb-clad docents who did a little dance on the ballroom floor for us, then allowed the rest of us to dance as well. So on my anniversary I danced at The Vanderbilt summer home's ballroom floor. I still think that is the coolest thing.

    We have seen every home offered on tour on that island, and this one - the first one we went to - will always be our very favorite. And the kitchen and china storage - something I will never forget and actually think of often. It's DREAMY!

    When I was there they didn't allow indoor photos - so glad you were able to - nice to "revisit!" I think we need to go back.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again Michele. Sorry for my delayed response but I have been a bit MIA from blogging trying to enjoy the warm summer days.

      I love Newport. It is such a beautiful place to visit and how lucky that you got to spent your anniversary there. And at The Breakers. What a special moment in your life to have been able to dance on the ballroom at the Breakers. It doesn't get more special than that. I still have one more mansion to visit which I hope to do in September when I am scheduled to go back on a girls trip. Rosecliff is my favorite because it is less ornate and the most romantic in my view but the Breakers is just incredible. Such opulence and luxury. I can't imagine having such a life.

      And you are right, the kitchen at the Breakers is a dream. I would give anything for a chance to cook in it. Can you imagine having such a storage room for silver and china??

      I can't wait to go back. I recently visited the Old Westbury Mansion and Gardens in New York and that was also spectacular. Such enchanting garden there. I have pictures to share so look out for my post.

      Again, thank you for your support. Sending blessings your way.

      Janet

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts