My Herb Garden

One of the things that I enjoy most about spring, is growing fresh herbs in my garden.  Besides the natural beauty and romance they add to ones garden, there are very practical reasons to add culinary herbs to your garden, especially if you love to cook.  As many homecooks know, nothing beats the flavor of fresh herbs in your recipes savory or sweet.  Can you imagine salsa without cilantro, a mojito without fresh mint or pesto without sweet basil?  Even more, I can't imagine making roast chicken without rosemary and thyme. More importantly, it is more economical to grow your own since they can cost a pretty penny at the supermarket.  Furthermore, certain herbs, such as rosemary, lavender, peppermint, catnip and lemon balm are natural bug repellents.  And if you have little doggies running around your garden, word is, rosemary and catnip repel fleas.  So it is probably a good idea to plant a few of these plants in different areas of your garden.

The first thing to consider is their location.  For a culinary herb garden, it should be close to your kitchen where you can quickly grab a sprig of your needed herbs when you are cooking.  The second thing to consider is a spot that gives your herbs at least 6 hours of direct sun daily.  While herbs like parsley, mint and chives may do fine with partial sun, they will be happier and perform much better with a few hours of sun.  In the hot summer months, you may want to relocate your herbs where it gets morning sun, so the intense heat of the afternoon doesn't kill your herbs.   I for one, prefer to plant my herbs in containers to make it easier to move them around when I need to.  I also like to keep a small containers with herbs in my kitchen for those days that I am in a rush.  Lastly, remember to plant your herbs in good soil.  Culinary herbs need a well drained, fertile soil to grow their best. And remember to trim them often.  Trimming off the flower heads will help the plants perform better.

If you decide to grow your own herb garden, grow the herbs that you like to use most.  For me, Rosemary & Thyme are in abundance in my garden since they are my favorite culinary herbs and the inspiration for my blog's name.  If you like to cook Italian dishes, then plant plenty of sweet basil, oregano, Italian parsley and rosemary.  if you prefer French recipes, you can plant herbs such as thyme, tarragon, chives, rosemary, marjoram and lavender to name a few.  And if you like Mexican food, cilantro is a must.  Now what about you, do you plant any herbs?

Here are a few photos of the herbs I planted this weekend for my own garden.  And above all, remember to have fun, start small and keep it simple.  I can assure you that you will be pleasantly surprised by the fantastic flavors that your fresh herbs will add to you recipes. 
































Thank you for stopping by today.  May you all have a great week ahead and happy planting sweet friends.


Hugs,

Janet



Here is a quick reference guide of some of the most common culinary herbs guide and their uses:  (Source:  cookinglight.com)


Basil

Comments

  1. I so very much enjoyed your post today. Your photos are wonderful. There is an ongoing love affair between me and herbs of every kind. I cannot walk by an herb without touching, rubbing and smelling the culinary ones, in particular. I cook with herbs all the time and love to tuck ones like Rosemary and Eucalyptus into flower arrangements. Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lynn,

      Thank you for visiting me and leaving your kind words on my post about herbs. I also love herbs very much. They are an essential part of my cooking. I also love to use them for beauty products, teas, and even spritzers. They do make great little bouquets.

      Stop by later this week. I am sharing a recipe for a hand scrub using lavender.

      Warm regards,

      Janet

      Delete
  2. I love herbs. It's a bit too early to plant outside here in NH but I can't wait to buy some herbs. I especially love basil, rosemary and mint. I may do a few small indoor herb pots as well. They look so pretty on the widow sill...thanks for sharing your pretty photos.....and I love that pink floral hat!!! :)
    Linda
    mysewwhatblog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda,

      Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving me your sweet comment about my herb garden. I love basil too. It is such an versatile herb. And my desserts wouldn't be as spectacular without sweet mint. I hope you do your small indoor herb pots, they are so helpful in the kitchen.

      Warm regards,

      Janet

      Delete
  3. I so enjoyed your post today. Everything is so coordinated - your garden tools are such a pretty color. Looks like you are going to have a wonderful herb garden soon.

    I went to the nursery today and was a very bad girl, now to plant.

    Have a great week.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mary,

      You are very kind. I am glad you enjoyed my post about my herb garden. My herb garden is looking beautiful already.

      How wonderful that you are also working on your pretty garden too.

      Warm regards,

      Janet

      Delete
  4. Great herb post Janet, your photos are always a feast for the eyes. I also have herbs in my garden, just planted together with the perennials in the borders. The annual herbs, like basil which is not hardy in our country, I sow in my greenhouse.
    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Janneke,

      Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving me your sweet comment about my herb garden. I love basil too. It is such an versatile herb. And my desserts wouldn't be as spectacular without sweet mint. How exciting that you sow in your greenhouse. I guess it is one of your favorite spots to be creative in.


      Wishing you a great week.

      Janet

      Delete
  5. I really want to start an herb garden and you've given me some inspiration. Thank you for a wonderful post!
    Ann
    http://theapplestreetcottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ann,


      Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving me your sweet comment about my herb garden. It makes me so happy to learn that I have inspired you a bit.

      You will love it.

      Warm regards,

      Janet

      Delete
  6. Hi Janet, what a lovely post filled with great info for growing herbs. So nice to meet you and thank you for stopping by and your kind comment. I have so enjoyed my visit here and your newest follower.
    Have a wonderful new week and Happy May!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Janet:
    This post is very inspiring and helpful to many. An herb garden is such a delight to the eye and the "nose" and so helpful for the kitchen. You have shared some wonderful information. Thanks for sharing and linking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty and informative, Janet. I grow lavender, rosemary, cilantro, mint, basil, thai basil, and chives. Cilantro does okay here for a month or two, but it doesn't seem to like our heat as it goes to seed quickly. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty pictures,Janet.
    I love herbs and always have some pots at home .
    Enjoy May!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Janet, I love your herbs your have growing and the helpful info on them. I like growing basil, and mint. I do seem to have trouble growing lavender which I love. I love the gardening tools too. Have fun gardening. Enjoy the week and weekend.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Janet. How nice to be able to pick your herbs for cooking. Your vignette is so pretty. To be featured, you need to add a link to our party on Sundays, Dishing It & Digging It. Thanks for sharing. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. How great! I love me some Cilantro!

    I would love for you to share this with my Recipes, Crafts, Tips and Tricks Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! I love all the herbs! Beautiful garden basket you got there. Your plants looks so healthy. I apologize for not having time to visit all the lovely blogs lately. I got a new job and that is taking my whole time. Happy Mother's Day to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Janet:
    This wonderful post is featured on my blog today! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Janet:
    This wonderful post is featured on my blog today! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have rosemary, parsley, thyme, and lavender at the moment but need to buy some more bug repellant herbs. Also need them closer to use in the kitchen. They are spread out in my garden.
    Pretty and helpful post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a wonderful and informative post. Basil is currently my favorite herb and 4 types grow in many pots in my greenhouse along with parsley, oregano and thyme. The fragrance in there is so inviting. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a fabulous post. I love growing herbs and have grown them for years! One of my favorite is lovage which I grew from seed this year. It has almost the same flavor as celery and I use it instead of celery to cook with (especially good in soup stock/bases). Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your herb garden!

    Thanks for sharing with SYC.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing post! I am featuring it at SYC! Thanks for sharing! Jo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Janet,
    This is such an incredible blog post. First, I'm a huge lover of using fresh herbs when I can. They taste so much better than dried. I've tried growing a medley of herbs but have had luck only with growing a few varieties successfully. Basil is extremely tricky for me up here in Alaska so I just buy it fresh.

    Your little herb garden decor is darling! I chose your post as a feature on this week's Thursday Favorite Things link party. The theme for this week is outdoor decor, but people will pleasantly surprised when they see all the information you have shared about herbs in cooking.

    Thank you so much for sharing with us at Thursday Favorite Things.

    Olivia
    Reinvented Collection

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my! I am in love with your herbs. It's not only eatable but beautiful. Gotta pin this one! Visiting from Share your cup Thursday. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cindy,

      Thanks so much for visiting my blog. It made me so happy to read your sweet comment. I hope my post helps with your herb garden.

      Warm regards,

      Janet

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts