Traditional Linzer Cookies

Who can resist a good cookie.  Especially with the classic combination of raspberries and almonds - they are perfect together.  The sweetness of the raspberries compliment the almonds like a dream. Add the subtle flavor of brown sugar to this combo, and you have absolute perfection in this recipe for traditional Austrian cookies.

These Linzer cookies are delicious the first day they are baked but they will taste even better on day two or three.  They practically melt in your mouth.  They are soft and naturally flavored by using real toasted almonds.  So much better than the store-bought kind.  They are not too sweet at all.  But my favorite part of making these cookies is that they are gorgeous and since it is Valentine's, I shaped them into pretty hearts.

One thing to take note of, do not let the dough harden too much because the dough will get too hard and not workable.  I let my dough rest for less than two hours.  Another thing to point out is that these cookies are great for shipping since they only get better by the day.  So think of those special cookie monsters in your life that may be craving home baked cookies this time of year.



































You will LOVE this recipe.  Easy to make and deliciosu.

I found this recipe on Pinterest.  The source was American Heritage Cooking.  Below is the recipe.



Thank you for visiting today.

Janet





Traditional Raspberry Linzer Cookies
Total Time: 3 hours, 20 minutes
Yield: 18 Cookies
Whole, toasted almonds and brown sugar are a wonderful backdrop for the sweet raspberry preserves. The cookies are not overly sweet themselves, so the preserves and powdered sugar make them more sweet than savory and a delightful addition to any cookie tray!
Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup almonds
  • ½ cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, for dusting
  • 1 12-ounce jar seedless raspberry preserves
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread almonds on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the preheated oven until lightly browned and fragrant, about 6-10 minutes. They will continue to cook outside of the oven so make sure to take them out as soon as you can smell them! Let cool.
  2. While your almonds cool, whisk together flour, baking power, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside.
  3. Process the almonds and a ¼ cup of the brown sugar in a food processor until they are finely ground. Be sure to pulse so as not to make almond butter.
  4. In a large bowl, beat the butter and remaining ¼ cup brown sugar with a hand mixer until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
  5. Reduce speed to low and gradually add the ground almonds, then add the flour mixture in several additions. Mix until just combined being careful not to over mix.
  6. Divide the dough in half, shape into disks, wrap securely in plastic wrap, and refrigerate 2 hours or until firm but not hard! If you want to prepare the dough the night before, just allow the disks to warm up on the counter until they are still firm but not soft.
  7. Preheat oven to 350° and line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
  8. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each piece of dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut out using 3 inch cookie cutter and place on prepared baking sheet, spacing them 1 inch apart. Using a 1 inch cookie cutter cut out the centers of half of the rounds, re-rolling the scraps. Bake the bottoms and the tops (the ones with the holes) on separate cookie sheets!
  9. Bake, one sheet at a time, rotating the cookie sheet half way through, until the edges begin to brown, 8-10 minutes. [I baked the tops 6-8 minutes] Cool slightly on the cookie sheet and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
  10. When the tops have partially cool, dust them generously with powdered sugar.
  11. Spread about ¾ teaspoon of preserves on each cookie without holes. You can use a little more if you like, but I didn’t want the raspberry flavor to overpower the almond flavor. Place a powdered top on each bottom and press gently to stick them together!
Notes:
I thought the flavor improved on the second day! Keep in a sealed storage container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Store between layers of parchment paper. After 4 days they begin to dry out.
Recipe adapted from Real Simple | November 2010




Comments

  1. HI Janet,
    I made linzer cookies this month, also. I think the recipe is similar to the one I used. Yours look like perfection!! I am taking mine to a luncheon that I am going to tomorrow, as a little Valentine treat.
    Happy ❤️ Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really sounds like the perfect Valentine cookie. Delicious and lovely. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe looks wonderful. I did Linzer Cookies for my grandgirls for C'mas, but I'd love to try yours.
    You made them so pretty as everything you do mi querida amiguita.
    Abrazos y Feliz Valentin.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always loved these cookies, but never made them. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love linzer cookies too Janet! Yours look beautiful and I think this has inspired me to make some tomorrow for the big day. I loved all your pretty photos my dear!
    Have a Happy Valentine's Day!
    sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quickly looking at your recipe I have to admit that recipe inherited within my family is different. I bake linzer cookies for Easter and Christmas.
    I may try your recipe, however, too, because according to photo, they look delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are my favourite cookies, as you say, more tasty the second or the third day after having baked them, and with your romantic touch, my dearest, are even much more inviting and 'inspiring' !
    That's a great idea for Valentine's Day, sweetest Janet !

    Sending much love, I wish you a most beutiful remainder of your week,
    my so precious friend !
    Sweet hugs to you

    Dany

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh whau! These are beautiful cookies. I can see it was made with love and care.
    Absolutely lovely!! Wishing you a wonderful Valentine's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet,
    These are beautiful cookies! I would love to bite into one right about now. Sure would go perfectly with my cup of hot tea! Happy Valentine's Day!
    Linda
    mysewwhatblog

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dearest one,
    it is so precious to me the time I spend here with you that, trying to thank you as I can, I've thought to you for a surprise waiting for you at ~ My little old world ~... I hope it would please you ...
    With all my heart I wish you a Sunday filled with the most sincere love
    Dany

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello,
    these are my favourite cookies.....i bake this cookies to christmas.
    thanks for sharing thr recipe!
    greetings from germany,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such wonderful heart cookies and look so perfect in their display box. They look too pretty to eat! Hoping you had the perfect Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Janet, you made such pretty cookies! I hope all is well with you and stopping by to say Hi! Enjoy the weekend.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts