Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Moss Topiary Tutorial

Hello to you all.  I hope your week is going well.  

I have been looking for some accessories for our entrance hall but I had not had any luck until I visited Pottery Barn a few weeks ago and spotted some great moss topiaries.  They were not fancy. In fact, they were incredibly simple but with at a price tag of $50.00 each, a little more than what I wanted to spend.  

Since they looked so simple and unadorned, I figured I give it a go at it.... 



Here are the materials I used:

  • Container (One from my own collection)
  • Moss (I bought a big bag from Joann Fabric w. coupon)
  • Floracraft 6" Ball ($6.99) Bought w. coupon
  • Floracraft Styrofoam ($3.99)
  • Tree twigg or small branch (From my backyard)
  • Glue Gun
  • Ribbon (from my own collection)
  • dried roses (from roses I've already dried)

Note:  This will be a bit messy because of the moss so I recommend that you cover your work area with some old fabric or drop cloth.  You may also want to use gloves if you are using a hot glue gun.




Place the floral styrofoam in your container.  Make sure that it is tightly pack and secured.  Place tree branch in under and in the center of styrofoam ball.


With a utility knife, carefully make whole in center of your styrofoam.


Begin covering ball with hot glue and cover with moss.  (This is where the gloves are needed.  Just be extra careful)  You may use spray adhesive for this step just make sure you are working in a well ventilated area when spraying.  Once the ball is completely covered, go back and shape it to ensure that it completely round. 

Once you are complete with the steps above, you can leave it the way it is or you can add some ribbon to give it a personal touch.


I also added a few dried yellow roses to give it a little pop of color but this is a personal choice.



I love the way my topiary turned out.  It is sitting pretty in our entrance hall and I couldn't be happier. I think I will be making a few more of these.  

I hope to have inspired you with this project.  It is super easy and lots of fun.  The creative possibilities are endless with this project.

Thank you for stopping by today.  Enjoy the rest of your week.

Janet








17 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to make one of these and now I will be doing that . It looks so easy, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betty,

      Thank you for visiting me. How exciting that I have inspired you to give this topiary a try. Nothing to it. It is very easy. Have fun creating.

      Janet

      Delete
  2. It looks like an easy thing to do...maybe I will give it a try sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Janet I love your topiary you made. It is pretty and elegant! TFS how to make it.
    Enjoy today and the weekend.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply beautiful! Thanks for joining the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop and have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. its lovely. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. Watch for your feature on Monday xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet how utterly perfect! I love gaining inspiration from high end décor stores. This is just lovely! Would you do me the honour of sharing this post at my Five Star Frugal linkup at A Tray of Bliss? My friends will welcome you with open arms, I promise! Love Mimi xxx
    http://atrayofbliss.blogspot.com.au/2015/08/five-star-frugal-15the-pink-one.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. My darling Janet,
    I LOVE MOSS !!!
    This is truly a great idea of sure effect, to put it on a shelf in the hall, in a vase with a beautiful old decoration ( maybe I've one which belonged to my grandma similar to yours ) .... it won't be unnoticed at all.

    Thank you sweety for this lovely and interesting suggestion, have a wonderful Sunday and new week ahead.
    Sendind much dear love and hugs
    Dany

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness ,linda amiga! I always wanted to make a topiary like this and here it is the tutorial!
    Thanks for sharing, I totally love it. One of this days I will buy the material and make one.
    Your container is gorgeous too!
    Have a terrific week. sweetie.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty! and so creative! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really pretty Janet! I love the container and the yellow roses at the base. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so so pretty and thank you for the tutorial.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great addition to your front entrance, pretty touch to invite people in :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty! Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good Afternoon Janet, Oh what a lovely idea. This topiary tree would look fabulous for the spring, summer or autumn. I have in mind to do a little something for Christmas, so thank you so much for showing me how to create this topiary tree.
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Best Wishes to you.
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your topiary is lovely, dear Janet. I especially like the yellow roses :) I'm so glad you shared this wonderful tutorial with Roses of Inspiration. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for this tutorial, Janet! It’s very easy to follow and the materials are easy to find. Plus, it seems fun to do as well. Topiaries really make wonderful home decorations, and you can design them the way you want to give your home a fresh ambiance. :-)

    Raymond Quinn @ River Oaks Plant House

    ReplyDelete