Thursday, August 6, 2015

A Summery Salad

Happy Weekend friends!  I was unable to use my computer for almost a week thanks to my little pooch Max who chewed the power cord to my computer.  I had to order the replacement on line since the stores near me did not have it in stock.  Waiting for the cord felt like forever.  My goodness what would we do without our electronics right?  I felt so disconnected from everyone.  Especially my followers. So I will be catching up with your comments, blog posts and a little research in the next few days.  

I am also looking forward to spending Saturday in New York again.  I will be going to Laduree, a French bakery and tea room that has been on my must visit list for a while now.  And you can be sure that I will take plenty of pictures to share with you all.

Now to the real important stuff...  Today, I am sharing a new salad recipe that I recently made for my husband and I.  It is so yummy that I just can't get enough of this salad.  It is very light and fresh, and the colors are just incredible together.  Leave it to mother earth for creating the ultimate color palette right?  It is summer on a plate.  It is great as a side dish or as your main meal.  It is quickly becoming our new favorite salad. 

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!!!




















Summery Salad


Serves 4 to 6

1 large radish
Juice of 1 orange (about 1/4 cup)
¼ lemon juice
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinaigrette
1/4 cup chopped mint
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cucumber
½ cup of mixed tomatoes 
2 figs
1/2 cup crumbled goat or sheep’s milk feta
¼ cup red onions

Cut onions, cucumbers, tomatoes and figs.  (I cut the figs in half) Using a hand guard, thinly slice the radishes with a mandoline. (If you don’t have a mandoline, you can use a very sharp knife – you want the radishes to be paper-thin.)

In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, lemon juice, balsamic vinaigrette and the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.

Place vegetables on serving platter and season with salt and pepper. Add the chopped mint, feta and top with vinaigrette.  Let sit for 5-10 minutes and enjoy…




17 comments:

  1. I hope that little dog is ok and didn't get electrocuted! Such a wonderful salad. I love the figs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bernideen,

      Max is fine. Just got a little scare from it all thank goodness. Thank you for visiting me. I love figs too.

      Enjoy the weekend.

      Janet

      Delete
  2. Oh, Janet, what a colorful and inviting dish, darling, thank you so much for it too !
    Have a wonderful end of the week, my dear one.

    Much love and hugs

    Dany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet, that salad looks wonderful and I am going to try it. I eat alot of salad during the summer, but get tired of the same old thing. This looks so refreshing and yummy.
    Enjoy your Saturday in New York - sounds like fun. Have a terrific time.
    So glad that your little dog did not get hurt, bet he won't chew on a cord again.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Janet...this is the loveliest salad and I am loving those bright, summery colours...today just feels like spring, although I am trying not to get my hopes up too much...I have a feeling we may still be in for some chilly winter weather!

    I had a good little giggle at your pooch, Max...oh! Our furry friends are so sweet and special, but they can make us quite frustrated at times! Smiles... Glad you're back with us, dear Janet!

    And do enjoy your time spent in New York...the bakery you're visiting sounds absolutely delightful and I look forward to catching a glimpse of your time there when you return!

    Until then, dear Janet! Have a blessed and beautiful weekend!
    Much love and hugs,
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous salad! Looks delicious. Have a wonderful visit to NY! Wish it was me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous salad! Looks delicious. Have a wonderful visit to NY! Wish it was me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This salad looks and sounds great! I could not help laughing about Max who chewed the powercord of the pc, these pets are like little kids you have to guard them all day.
    Wish you a happy day in New York, I almost envy you, but New York is to far away for us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds sooooo good Janet, and its so pretty made up too. Thank you so much for the recipe!!!
    sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Janet, I found you over at Julie's Lifestyle. Your comment caught my eye - you mentioned you live in NJ, and haven't met many other bloggers from the area. So I am introducing myself as another NJ blogger! Your salad looks delicious, by the way - I love fresh figs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful Summer salad. I hope you have a wonderful time in NYC. I make a very similar salad dressing except I use rice vinegar instead of balsamic and I add honey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Janet, wow this salad recipe looks so good and yummy. I love figs in salad! Thanks for sharing this at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds so good. I have never had figs like that. Makes me want to try this salad! Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this sounds yummy!

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmmm...looks yummy!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your salad looks great... I eat salads all year round, I can resist a good salad.
    I make a salad dressing all fresh and organic, using grated cloves of garlic minced, 100% extra virgin organic Olive oil, lemon juice from fresh squeezed lemons, and homey to taste, love that sweet raw natural taste and it's so good for you, I then crack some pepper and a bit of sea salt just a pinch.

    It's so delisious all over everything, even a fruit salad can handle it.
    Have fun in NY! Wish I were going.

    See you soon and all you will be sharing.

    Xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  16. Janet, this looks amazing! Sorry for being so late in letting you know that you are one of the features at the Make it Pretty party at The Dedicated House. We are in the final push for getting Little Dedicated ready for school. Anyhoo, here is the link so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/08/make-it-pretty-monday-week-147.html Have a great evening! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete