Saturday, December 27, 2014

Table Settings ~ Blue and White Table and Cookies

Happy Saturday everyone.  I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.  I spent my Christmas with a terrible cold.  I am just starting to feel a little better today.  Forcing myself out of bed, doing my hair and putting some makeup because I think it will feel help me get over this awful cold.

And so during the busiest of seasons, I took a moment to be still and enjoy a much needed break.  To enjoy a warm cup of Earl Grey with my hubby and delight in the flavors of my favorite Christmas cookie, Italian Anise.

Looking for a fresh and clean color palette, I decided to set the table with blue and white.  I guess with the warmer than usual temperatures here in the Northeast, my heart was yearning for a pretty spring day.  And it actually worked.  A white tablecloth, tulips casually arranged in a white pitcher and my china blue and white floral Devon Cottage china by Johnson Brothers did the trick. 


Such a charming scene...





What can be more relaxing - bracing blue and bright white.


















Italian Anise Cookie.  (See recipe below)



There is something about afternoon tea that can nourish the spirit and renew the mind.  It is a time  to slow down and enjoy a peaceful afternoon engaged in meaningful conversation and for sharing sweet delights with friends and loved ones.


Happy, happy Saturday friends.

Janet



Here is the recipe I used to make the Anise Cookies.  I found it on Food. com.


Italian Anise Cookies With Icing and Sprinkles

By Cookin'Diva on March 01, 2007
Photo
Photo by Cookin'Diva
52 Reviews
  • timer
  • Prep Time: 40 mins
  • Total Time: 1 hr 10 mins
  • Servings: 40

    COOKIE

    • 1/2 cup butter, softened
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 3 large eggs
    • 2 teaspoons anise extract ( or almond extract)
    • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour ( may need up to 3 cups)
    • 1 tablespoon baking powder
    • 2 -3 tablespoons milk

    ICING

    • 2 cups confectioners' sugar
    • 3 tablespoons milk
    • 1/8 teaspoon anise extract
    • food coloring
    • decorative candy sprinkles

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  2. For cookies, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition. Add anise extract.
  3. Blend flour and baking powder. Start by adding about 1/3 of these dry ingredients to the butter/sugar in your mixer, then add 1 T. milk. Add another third of the flour and another 1 T. milk. Finally, mix in enough of the remaining flour until your dough is like a brownie batter (it should be softer than a drop cookie dough).
  4. Use a 1 T. cookie scooper to make simple round drop cookies - use wet fingers to pat any rough edges OR for an Easter-Egg look, roll 1 T. dough into an elongated ball.

Directions

  1. Bake cookies 10-12 minutes (they won't be brown but the insides will be soft and cake-like).
  2. For icing: mix sugar, milk and extract to make a sugar glaze. HINT: When I make the icing, I make it thick but then I microwave it for 10 seconds so it is thin enough for dipping. Also, I like to divide the mixture in thirds, and then add ONE DROP of food coloring to each batch (pink, green, yellow).
  3. Hold cookie in your hand and turn upside down so you can dip the top half in the glaze; turn over and immediately top with sprinkles so they will stick.
  4. Allow icing to harden overnight; then store in air-tight containers or freeze.

26 comments:

  1. A formal afternoon tea is very civilised ( and a wonderful, easy way to entertain friends and family.) Your creative table speaks of spring. How did you muster up the energy to do all of this when you are feeling so ill? Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your cold, never a good time to get it, but having it at the holidays is just crummy ~~~take care, drink lots of fluids and get plenty of rest. You've already got a jump on that with the Earl Grey tea, Bliss Victoria magazine and the delicious little nibbles. This tablescape so makes me want to have spring sunshine again!!! Loving the blue and white and the TULIPS, so pretty! HAPPY NEW YEAR~~~Mickie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty table setting. I love blue and white. I hope you feel better soon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry that you were ill. I think we get run down from doing all the shopping, baking and running around. I don't work, but I sure was tired..
    Your table looks so pretty and I am sure that it made you feel better.
    Have a wonder Happy New Years.
    Feel better.....
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary. You are right, I think all the holiday craziness and my busy work schedule took a toll on me. Thank goodness I had a few days to rest and slow down. Enjoying a little tea time did make me feel much better. Wishing you and your family a blessed 2015.

      Hugs,

      Janet

      Delete
  5. Your tea table is beautiful with all the English china and tablescape. The Italian anise cookies look so yummy. I hope you are feeling better and I wish you a very Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feel better... :(
    Beautiful blue and white china, it looks very soothing. Lovely tea. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I see your beautiful table setting in blue and white, I think you must feel better now. It is a delight to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How awful to be sick this time of year! My son is still sick and I am blaming my bah humbug-ness on hormones! Your table does brighten the soul and it is so pretty! I think the constant change in the weather of the Northeast is what makes us all sick or hormonal!! I am pinning the recipe because the Italian chocolate anise cookies I have made for 30+ years did not come out good this year! looking forward to a new year....Happy New Year's!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dear Janet, I want to hope that your Christmas was wonderful, even if cold isn't a lovely guest at all !
    Maybe your busy life has weaken you, let me suppose that you're feeling better than yesterday and little by little you could wholly recover your health !
    Your picture are always such a wonder to me :)!
    Thank you, have a beautiful week ahead
    With love
    Dany

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your table is so beautiful. I think I will do a spring table too. Glad you're feeling better. It's miserable to be sick anytime, but especially during the holidays. Happy new year and feel better friend!🎄

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beatiful!! so nice it would be to sit down here rinking tea :) Love your blog, i'm so glad I found it!

    Greatings from Norway :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful table setting. I love your blue and white plates. Those cookies sound delicious! I'm going to bookmark the recipe.
    I'm sorry you were sick over Christmas. I hope you are feeling much better by now. xo Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's not fun being sick, especially during the holidays. We were all well for Christmas Eve and Day but after that, we've been taking turns at being under the weather, too. Your table setting is lovely and should make you feel better!! The cookies look delicious, as well. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Janet, I do hope you're feeling much better. No fun being sick, but especially at Christmastime! I absolutely love JB Devon Cottage and my hubby had tried to get me the teapot for Christmas but it never arrived. Feeling disappointed but perhaps it will come yet. Your cookies look so pretty with your tea wares. Thank you for joining me for tea this week and Happy New Year to you and your loved ones!

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the silver with the blue and white! Hope you feel all better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your blue and white dishes.... they are so pretty and your table is set so nicely. :) I hope you are all the way over your cold soon....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry that you weren't feeling well over Christmas, Janet. I know your pretty blue and white tea setting certainly must've made you feel better. It certainly cheered me up as you set the dreamiest tables. The cookies sound wonderful and add a festive touch to your table. \
    Happy and Healthy 2015 to you. }

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry you weren't feeling well. Hope you feel better. Your table is so pretty. I love those plates, such lovely colors. Happy New year!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry you had a cold! No fun at the holidays. I LOVE your blue and white setting! Perfect! Great recipe as well. Happy New Year!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pretty blue and silver tea! Sorry you had/have a cold. Hope you are feeling better soon! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A beautiful table indeed, I loved every inch of it... bright and cheery and of course Blue & White is my favorite.. and the silver makes it even better.. thank you for the cookie recipe my second Mom used to make these plus a ton others but I never wrote any down she was Italian and made big tins of Italian cookies I so wished I had collected the recipes but I was young and didn't think I gues one day she would leave us... nice post ...ps thank you for your sweet visit Happy New Year I have been sick too just getting better..with love janice

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope this finds you feeling better and ready to ring in the new year. I love your lovely blue and white table, and find it so refreshing after all the colors of the holidays.
    Wishing you and yours a wonderful and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this setting Janet!!!! The china is beautiful! I hope to try this recipe soon and thank you so much for sharing it with us.
    I want to wish you a wonderful New Year Janet and hope it is filled with many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Wow I love china, have a collection of vintage ones! Love if you share this on Fabulous Friday Party
    http://www.simplenaturedecorblog.com/fabulous-friday-party-happy-new-year/
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  25. So pretty china... your are a feature for this Friday Party, thanks for sharing this at my last Fabulous Friday Party
    Thanks Maria

    ReplyDelete