Friday, April 18, 2014

Guest Bedroom Makeover

When I decided to give our guestroom a makeover, I knew I wanted to create the feel of quaint and romantic Bed and Breakfast. A serene space with soft hues, romantic fabrics and a few vintage accents. I also had a budget to keep.
And as you all know, when you are doing a room makeover on a budget, one has to be really creative. So when I am make plans to refresh a room, my go to places are thrift stores, antique shops and garage sales. I do invest on good quality foundation pieces for our home too but for the most part, I try to re-purpose furniture, art and decor items whenever I can. And who doesn't love a bargain or the thrill of the hunt right?




The room served its purpose. But it was just your four walls. It lacked charm and personality.
I knew right away that I wanted to create a space that was bright and cheerful and one that fit with the style and age of our 1920 Colonial home. I also wanted the room to be cozy and inviting. My goal is to make my guest feel as though they are on a mini getaway at a charming Bed and Breakfast. Everyone can use a little pampering once a while right?


First, we selected a light cream color for the walls. This one is an antique white.

The lovely reproduction painting on the wall was re-purposed. The frame was originally gold and the nightstand had a dark finish so that received a total makeover too. And that saved us a lot of money. It is amazing what a little paint can do.




Lovely vintage linens and floral fabrics dress the bed.










Painted night stand and artwork.







Here you can see the mirror that had a gold frame transformed by just applying a few coats of paint. It is truly beautiful. I am so happy with the results.




Since I was on a budget, I did not have a lot of extra funds to invest on a crystal chandelier so when I came across this gorgeous and acrylic chandelier at Home Depot for only $99.00, it was love at first site. And you won't even notice the difference. It is stunning and a quick way to add elegance and romance to a room. (if you re interested, here is the info for it: Hampton Bay Maria Theresa 6-Light Chrome Chandelier)






For the bedding, I used a textured Matelasse coverlet in cream, vintage linen pillow covers found at an antiques shop and a floral Ralph Lauren comforter set I already had.


Ins't this Ralph Lauren comforter beautiful?


These vintage pillow shams are lovely. I love the raised pattern adorning the corners. Such a sweet detail and I only paid about ten dollars for the set.



Shimmery accessories and French style accent chair add a bit of sophistication to the room.




My inspiration for the room was definitely this pretty Waverly fabric that I purchased from my local fabric store. I made this no sew scarf and bed canopy with the double sided sticky tape. At took a little time but it was totally worth it.

The chair was my most expensive purchase for this makeover. I found it at Home Goods for $129.00 but I just could not pass it up. It was the perfect color and style.




Here are a few photos of the room before the makeover.  What a dramatic difference right???
  Next is reading room.










This room combines my personality, style, creativity and appreciation for history. In short, it celebrates the my romantic heart. My little jewel box. And everyone that comes to visit loves the room. In fact, the stays usually last a little longer. My family has to come call our home The Rosemary & Thyme bed and breakfast and I love it.

Thank you for visiting my blog.  I hope I have inspired today.

Janet





35 comments:

  1. Your room is stunning. I love the romantic style and that chandy is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The room is gorgeous Janet! I love that view too. Romantic and feels as if you are asleep in a garden filled with gorgeous blooms. Paint does make such a difference.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful room!!! Don't you just love when you have a vision of how you want something to look & it turns out just as you hoped it would? You have great style & guests are going to love staying in this room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have taken a nice room and made it exquisitely beautiful. The Waverly fabric is a perfect accompanyment to the Ralph Lauren comforter, all set off by the white matelasse coverlet. Just wonderful. The white cups and saucers remind me of my beloved Wedgwood Queensware Patrician.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that your guest room was already pretty nice before renovation, my dear Janet, but your touch of good taste has made it a 'wedding favor', it's really a 'bijoux', so bright, elegant and cheerful !
    Congratulations my friend, have a wonderful Sunday xox
    Dany

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite lovely, especially the fabric treatment oven the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suzanne of Simply Suzannes at Home

    Hi Janet! Thanks so much for coming by, it brought be back to your beautiful blog.
    Your guest bedroom is simple and refreshing. A comfort to see!
    Thanks so much for sharing!
    Have a great week,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous post as is customary with you sweet friend! What a lovely and exquisite guest bedroom, makes me want to go sleep over, lol! Hope you had a lovely Easter.
    Have a wonderful week.
    xoxo
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so lovely. I would love to be a guest at your romantic "B&B"! Everything is so soft and pretty; whoever stays here will surely feel pampered. Love the chandelier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Janet,

    Just love the way you decorated this room! Your white quilt is so pretty. I have been looking for one at a good price and have yet to but still looking.
    Hugs, Lynnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an absolutely beautiful guest room. I'd love to stay in a room like that.
    Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love it all. This room is stunning. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. I will be using this as a feature next week. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very soft and romantic looking, Janet! I think it would be a welcoming and restful room for guests to stay in.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is beautiful ~ I love your choice of fabrics! It looks like you have the same screen door that we have.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhhh love it! And the chandelier gorgeous. Can't wait to see how mine looks in my little cottage kitchen and dinning room area. And now that I've seen your painted night stand, I am most decided to paint mines... dark and chunky and I had it with them.. ;) Painting will make all the difference. What brand did you use? I'm researching the Net for the Annie Sloan paint, but not sure what to do yet.

    May you and your be blessed my friend

    Un abrazo

    Cielo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just beautiful, Janet - it definitely has the soothing atmosphere of a lovely B & B bedroom - I believ the fabric you have draped at the headboard is similar to the fabric I used for slipcovers in our master bedroom - love everything here! I am delighted to share that your post will be featured in this week's Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful!! I have to redo my guest room and was looking for some inspiration. What a great room! Thanks for sharing! :-) Dawn @ www.730moments.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Janet is just beautiful and I love that Waverly fabric. I have used it in my home as well. Thanx for partying at THT!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Janet,
    Your guest bedroom is simply lovely. I have featured you today at Saturday Sparks.
    Thanks for the inspiration,
    Suzanne
    Pieced Pastimes

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stopping by to thank you for sharing at Share it One More Time at One More Time Evens and to let you know you have been featured today…Looking forward to seeing what you have to share this week! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have a lovely guest bedroom! Theresa @DearCreatives

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Janet, I'm stopping by from the one more time blog party. I have to say that this is 10 times prettier and than any B&B I've stayed in! Wow you did a beautiful job decorating this room and I'd never want to leave! Congrats on the feature.
    Julie at Julie's Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is just gorgeous. I live in earthquake country so you learn not to hang things over the headboard least it clunk you on the head, but the drape of the material is perfect.

    Madonna
    MakeMineLemon

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the comforter! It is all just beautiful!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is my first visit to your blog-but it definitely won't be the last! I am drooling over your chandelier and the fabric is lovely! A beautiful transformation and so inspiring! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Janet,
    I just found you and what a beautiful home you have...I love your bedroom the chandelier is so pretty! your room is so peaceful and soothing. I look forward to visiting again. I have become your newest follower... have a sweet day, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the room, Janet. You did a wonderful job! Thanks so much for sharing it with us, we featured you this week at Ivy and Elephants. Feel free to drop by and pick up a featured button.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  28. No guest will every want to leave this room. Wow, you did such a nice job. I love everything about it! Thanks so much for sharing at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This truly has a Bed and Breakfast feel! You did a wonderful job and your guests will feel so special.
    ~Dorene @ Seasonal Chapters

    ReplyDelete
  30. can you tell me what brand paint of antique white?

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOVELY!
    so relaxing and welcoming!

    ReplyDelete
  32. The florals and backboard really made a big difference! Not to mention the rest of the accessorisation and décor items for the "feeling" too! Glad to see that you made use of a lot of the existing items in the room too instead of putting them into storage and buying totally new pieces.

    ReplyDelete