Costumes of Downton Abbey

Last weekend, I had the pleasure of visiting Winterthur Museum in Wilmington Delaware for the exhibit of the spectacular and original designs from the award-winning television series Downton Abbey.  And what a special treat it was.  The museum displays forty historically inspired costumes worn by the beloved characters of the show.

The costumes are designed by Susannah Buxton and Caroline McCall.  And seeing these costumes up close lets one appreciate the love and true craftsmanship that these designers put into each piece.  The quality and attention to every little detail is impressive.  They even create a color palette for each actress to ensure that the clothes not only suit the character but that they have a graceful sense of place.  The costumes are a combination of new fabrics and remains of old dresses and costumes.  



An iconic image of our lovely Crawley sisters.  Always fashionable and graceful.



Downstairs Costumes worn by Mrs. Hughes, Thomas and Daisy.






Pretty vignettes and photographs depict life during the same era at the Winterthur Estate
 (former home of Henry Francis Du Pont).   



Splendid housemaid design and stylish summer dresses worn by Lady Sybil and Lady Mary.


What a fancy and striking housemaid dress.  






Lady Sybil's dress.





Dress worn by Mary was made with new fabric and accented vintage trimmings. 



The Crawley men are also very stylish.  Suit above made for handsome Matthew.
So sad that he is no longer on the show.



And who can forget Lady Cora's maid Ms. O'Brien.  Always conspiring and very unkind to others.








Could you see yourself wearing this walking suit??  No doubt Mary belongs in Highclere Castle.





Sport wear worn by Matthew for a game of cricket. 



Fancy attire for a day of hunting.

















  
Coat and hat designed for Lady Cora's mother, Martha.






Lady Edith's wedding gown.   








Take a look at the beading on this dress. Truly a work of art.



Dress worn by Lady Mary for Edith's wedding.  So light and airy.


Costumes made for Mrs. Patmore and our sweet Daisy.



Above was designed for the cook of Downtown Abbey, Mrs. Patmore




And this costume was worn by assistant cook Daisy






Here we see get to Lady Sybil's famous Turkish Trousers upclose.  What a fashionista.  The top of this jumpsuit was made with found vintage dresses.  The silk bottom is all new fabrics.





A true exquisite gown.  So much hand work.



And we cannot forget our handsome Mr. Carson.








The famous engagement dress.  Be still my heart.  






And the outspoken and matriarch of the Crawley family, Violet.  I just love her.  
She is witty, head-strong and very opinionated. 





Gown designed for Isobel Crawley.  




Me and my sweet friend Lilly.


I hope you enjoyed this spectacular showcase of Downton Abbey Costumes.  Which one was your favorite. Mine was Lady Edith's wedding gown.  

If your travels bring you near Wilmington, Delaware, please take the time to include this one of a kind exhibit on your must do list.  It is a must see for fans of the series.  The exhibit runs until January 4, 2015.  The admission to the exhibit also includes the gorgeous Winterthur gardens and mansion.  I have included the link for the exhibit below.




Thank you for visiting.  I looking forward to reading your lovely comments.

Fondly,

Janet


Comments

  1. I ♥♥♥ that period in time, so elegant. Thanks for sharing your great photos, Janet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit Marigene. I agree, the Edwardian period was very elegant. Lovely comment.

      Delete
  2. Thank you - I enjoyed every photo and remembered so many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bernideen. Thank you for your visit. Glad you enjoyed the photos.

      Have a wonderful week.

      Janet

      Delete
  3. Someone was just telling me about this exhibit last night so I'm delighted to see your post. We'll soon be driving to Maine and I'm putting this on our list of places to stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lulu,

      Thank you for visiting. I do hope that you get to visit Winterthur. It is a must a see. And the Downtown exhibit is an added bonus.

      Have a great week.

      Janet

      Delete
  4. Thank you so so so much for sharing! I doubt I will be getting to Delaware so otherwise, I would not have seen it. I love the show, and really loved seeing this. I used to design costumes for theatre myself, so it was an extra treat for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful. To learn that you were a costume designer is pretty amazing. I am sure that you looked at each design with an artistic eye and appreciated the detail and labor of each and every one. Thank you for visiting me. Your comment made me very happy.

      Janet

      Delete
  5. What an absolute treat! As a diehard Downton Abbey fan, it would be a dream to get so close to some of the glorious costumes displayed, as you did. Thanks so much. Brisbane, Australia is a long way from Delaware, but I feel like I've been to the exhibit myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful chance you had, these garments are really charming ... when we watched them on tv we already had the opportunity to see that they were made as once, with the attention to every little detail, but to watch them so near, I think is really exciting !
    I enjoyed these photographs so much and I thank you with all my heart for this all, my dear Janet, I feel really delighted !
    Enjoy your Sunday and have a wonderful new week ahead xxoo
    Dany

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing it with us! The serial runs also in the Estonian TV - I would not mind to wear all these nice dresses every day! Thank you for your beautiful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm drooling through the whole exhibit! Thanks so much for such splendid photos of so much of the exhibit! I try to look closely at the clothes and accessories in the shows and am always inspired for my next thrifting trip to find bits and pieces that I can re-purpose into something that looks vintage. And - on occasion I find a real vintage piece that is wearable - though none I'd chance to wear that are from Downton's time period. BTW - I'm in Vineland - if you ever get down this way. I LOVE personally connecting with bloggers and kindred spirits.
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how wonderful! Your post is just beautiful!
    My aunt gave me a trip to this exhibit for my birthday and I'm so excited to go- Thanks for the preview

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my Janet! This is absolutely fantastic - I would have LOVED to have seen this in person! So delighted that you shared with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Actually I have two favorites...Lady Edith's wedding dress with all that wonderful bead work and Lady Sybil's Turkish trousers. Downton is one of my most favorite series. Thank you for taking us along on the museum tour, I enjoyed seeing all the costumes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I would have loved being at this exhibit with all those lady dresses. I think they should make similar ones for us to buy don't you think? I loved the first picture with the purple and blue dresses with Sybil and Mary were wearing...I'll take both. loved this post.
    hugs, Lynnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Folkwear actually has at least one tea-dress type pattern and when I saw these beautiful dresses, I thought about ordering that pattern. Nancy

      Delete
  13. I am not terribly far from Delaware, since I am just about 45 minutes from the gorgeous Longwood Gardens. Perhaps I will get to Winterthur afterall and I would love to see these costumes and I have long wanted to visit this other famour DuPont estate. I wish the historic homes of Odessa would be open to the public again soon. Thank you for this wonderful tour, in case my knees keep me from seeing it in person.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts