Scones And Strawberry Jam

Hello world.  Happy Saturday to you all.  It's been a rainy kind of day around here.  Not a good day for pictures so I have spent most of my day in the kitchen making chicken pot pies, scones and strawberry jam to enjoy with my hubby tomorrow. 

I love to cook but with my very busy schedule, a relaxing day in the kitchen is hard to come by.  So whenever I get a chance to spend a day in my kitchen, it is a very good day.  Plus it makes my hubby really happy because he knows that plenty of goodies will be coming his way.  And my little pooch parks right next to the stove when mama is in the kitchen.  So funny...   

While cleaning out my refrigerator this morning, I noticed that the strawberries were starting to pass their peak. Not wanting  to toss them, I made a quick single-batch of strawberry jam.  It doesn't take very long. The entire process, from cutting the strawberries, cooking and spooning the cooked jam into a jar, takes about 30 to 40 minutes.  Not too bad for having a homemade jar of jam right??  And I don't bother can it in the water bath since it doesn't last very long in my home.  I just stash it the refrigerator.

I was very ambitious today so I also made scones to enjoy with my strawberry jam.  Pretty simple to make but very delicious.  And scones are so versatile.   

I used recipes from allrecipes.com to make both the scones and the strawberry jam.   Both recipes are shared below.  I even included the how to video below. for the scones.















































I hope you give these two recipes a try.  They are both easy to make and very delicious.  Your family will love these.

Have a great rest of the weekend and happy Sunday to you all.

Hugs,

Janet


Strawberry Jam
recipe image
Rated:rating

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Ready In: 40 Minutes
Servings: 40

INGREDIENTS:
2 pounds fresh strawberries, hulled
4 cups white sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
DIRECTIONS:
1.In a wide bowl, crush strawberries in batches until you have 4 cups of mashed berry. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, mix together the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice. Stir over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to high, and bring the mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil, stirring often, until the mixture reaches 220 degrees F (105 degrees C). Transfer to hot sterile jars, leaving 1/4 to 1/2 inch headspace, and seal. Process in a water bath. If the jam is going to be eaten right away, don't bother with processing, and just refrigerate.


Simple Scones
recipe image
Rated:rating

Servings: 8

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
1/2 cup raisins (or dried currants)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 large egg
DIRECTIONS:
1.Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2.In a medium bowl, mix flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Grate butter into flour mixture on the large holes of a box grater; use your fingers to work in butter (mixture should resemble coarse meal), then stir in raisins.
3.In a small bowl, whisk sour cream and egg until smooth.
4.Using a fork, stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form. Use your hands to press the dough against the bowl into a ball. (The dough will be sticky in places, and there may not seem to be enough liquid at first, but as you press, the dough will come together.)
5.Place on a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7- to 8-inch circle about 3/4-inch thick. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp. of sugar. Use a sharp knife to cut into 8 triangles; place on a cookie sheet (preferably lined with parchment paper), about 1 inch apart. Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.



Comments

  1. Yum, Janet, that strawberry jam looks so good, make my mouth water.. you are so smart. I use to make jam home made but haven't lately. The scones looks good too and the jam will go good with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from Nifty thrifty Sunday. These look wonderful and summery! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving me your sweet comment.

      Janet

      Delete
  3. WOW, what I wouldn't do for some fresh strawberry jam and scones right now. They look delicious.
    Thanks so much for the recipes. Ever since we have had the earth quakes and after shocks, all I want to do is eat - guess I am nervous.
    Have a great week.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my yummy goodness! The strawberry Jam, the scones.. Yummy! I have never made scones..I love to eath them but never made them....I am definitely going to try this recipe... Your pics arereally good... so good... I can smell all the yummy goodness! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these look awesome, wish I had some with tea right now! I love starwberry and these scones...oh well. Thank you somuch for sharing.
    Have a great week.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMMM, love home made anything, especially strawberry jam. They look so good

    ReplyDelete
  7. They do look good. Thanks for sharing the recipes. We love strawberries here and I will try that recipe and ones for the scones too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must confess that I also love to spend most of my time in my beloved kitchen, I love cooking, especially cakes, but unfortunately with the work isn't always easy to find time for it; actually it's one of the gifts that gives me the cold season when the snow, the short and frosty days prevent me from working outdoors and so I often devote the weekend to make the cakes for the Sunday lunch and the breakfasts for all the week !
    Thank you so much for your so precious suggestions Janet, I look forward for having the time to try the recipes of your jam and of your scones, they really look delicious ;)
    Have a wonderful new week my friend xoxo
    Dany

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet, I did a post on scones this week too! Great minds think alike! Your strawberry jam looks delicious. I love a day in the kitchen, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how very delicious! xo Jen PS I'm one of your newest followers! Lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your tutorial on the scones is making my mouth water. The strawberry Jam looks great also, but the scones are amazing. I'll have to try this recipe for sure. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great recipes – thanks Janet. I’ve been experimenting lately trying new flavours to see which works well. I’ve made basil scones for strawberry jam and some almond scones to go with my favourite Berry Farm apricot jam. Both worked really well. I’m looking for a match for rosemary scones next. Any suggestions as to which fruit jam would work well with rosemary?

    Faith Thomas @ The Berry Farm

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts