Thursday, April 11, 2013

Tea For One

Have you ever felt a bit nostalgic and in need of a quiet space??  I certainly did last weekend.  With so many projects going on both at work and at home, it all got to be a bit much for me.  So I decided to slow down and dedicate a few moments to myself.  Time to sit back and relax, enjoy reading my favorite magazine and sip a little tea.
 
I have always loved beautiful, feminine things. Delicate china, soft vintage linens, antique furniture and of course flowers.  This is exactly what I need it.  To surround myself with my favorite things.
 
As the morning sunlight streamed through my guest room window, I found this to be the perfect spot to enjoy a little me time.  So I took my tray in the room and set it on the side table.  I began by taking a slow gentle sip of my Earl Grey tea.  The flavor had never been so satisfying and its aroma so pleasing.  I don't know if it was the setting or the beautiful tea cup I drank from that enhanced the experience.  It was no ordinary tea cup after all, not your every day mug.  This is a Limoges tea cup. It is so delicate.  A few lavender blooms adorn the saucer and the cup and it has double handles.  Exquisitely beautiful.  Its beauty beckons you to hold the cup in your hand, sip from it, and dream of an earlier, more gentile time.  A few fresh blooms and pretty vintage pieces complete this morning tea affair for one. 
 





 
 
 




























Fun Fact
 

Did you know that it was a lady named Mme de La Sabliere, a French hostess of an influential literary salon during the 17th century, who is often credited for being among the first to add milk to tea. The practice began by pouring milk into the cup before filling it with the hot tea. Tempering the tea in that manner made handling more comfortable., but Mme La Sabliere was actually seeking to prevent cracking or breaking the fine and delicate porcelain.


 

 

21 comments:

  1. You have such pretty things! Tea for 1 sounds lovely. I could use my luster ware tea cup and vintage linens. Maybe this weekend . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just looking at your photo's gives me a calming feeling. i often make tea and just sit and relax.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Everything looks beautiful. No doubt the tea taste so much better in that delicately handcrafted cup. You just reminded me to take time out and spend few minutes with myself, a little indulgence with a nice cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tea for one- is one of the nicest things one can do for themselves! So peaceful and beautiful photos and a good reminder to nurture a very important person- us! Thanks for the lovely post.
    ~T

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janet!!!

    I think the most important thing to do in life is to make time for oneself. Close the door light candles, have a beautiful bath, to sit in our special chair and read a book.

    You have the most beautiful way to close that door and have a cup or two of tea with your favorite cookies and relax!! The milk/cream pitcher is gorgeous and the tea pot is elegant and who can resist putting beautiful pink roses in a silver tea pot!!!! I love the simple design of your tea cup and saucer. It's a beautiful setting for some 'Me Time'.'

    Have a great weekend!!

    Pam
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks relaxing! Happy weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tea tray is perfection! A setting like this would restore anyone. Fun little fact about milk in the tea. Some cups are so delicate it's amazing that there are any left at all! Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very, very pretty and feminine!

    Big Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful...that is how I should take my tea...which is every day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Silly me... I thought I was a follower of your blog. Well, I am now! Anyway, I always love when you visit mine and I just want to let you know that I am always there to support fellow bloggers! Your cup of tea was so perfect! And I love the story of the reason why people add milk to their tea. Thanks for sharing your downtime with us. I wish I was there with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how beautiful these photos are and a darling teapot! So glad you linked to Friends Sharing Tea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful tea setting! And your Limoges is stunning! I love that delicate china. The lady Mme de La Sabliere was wise! I would have wanted to protect my china too! lol!
    I do love milk in my black tea.
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a gorgeous teascape. I love the silver teapot with the roses, they are absolutely stunning. Thanks for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love you teascape! I love that you made an ordinary space beautiful! Love how you included the fun fact as well! I am a new follower from southern charm, have a great day, Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Janet,
    This is such a lovely post! A serene tea time with gorgeous lavender blooms in the silver teapot is sure to make one feel special. I think my silver teapot is a twin to yours. Thank you for sharing with us and have a beautiful day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  16. A gorgeous moment in time....for a perfect cup of tea. Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this - I really needed to read this today -having had so much to do in the past couple of weeks I was feeling a bit blue and tired - taking time for ourselves is a good way to rejuvenate - I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just looking at your pictures is relaxing and soothing! Now I need a cup of tea all to myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice everything here! Look forward to see more of the blog when I get the chance.

    http://clmt-an-edwardian-victorian.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete